Dog leashes are the only dog supplies that are more essential than collars. A leash is an important tool for each dog owner. Dog leashes are utilized in conjunction with harnesses or collars for training and daily purposes.
If you first start to use a dog leash, it could take some time for dogs to get used to it. It’ll take patience on your part, particularly if it is your first time to be a dog owner. Your dog should learn that the leash connects the both of you. Your dog would associate his leash with something that is positive like going for a walk.
Several dog owners prefer to have kinds of dog leashes to use for various purposes. A leash might be for everyday walk and another might be for hiking with the dog or for bike ride. You might have a particular type of dog leash you use for dog training specifically. There are numerous dog leash designs and styles, it could be hard to decide what you need. The best choice is to pick something that’s functional and would fit your personal style.
Advantages of Dog Leashes
While the applications for dog leashes could be obvious, there are numerous advantages you can enjoy and these include the following:
- A means to temporarily, safely tether your dog if you can’t give them your attention.
- Prevent both friendly dogs as well as dogs with strong prey drives from scaring and chasing some kids and animals or those who have dog phobias.
- Prevent dogs from running into the streets and injuring others or themselves.
- A simple and efficient way to control your dog while training.
Types of Dog Leashes
Retractable Dog Leashes – These are one of the controversial parts of the world of dog leashes. While they are famous with numerous dog owners, many experts caution against them due to limited control, which they provide you over your pet. In addition to that, there are several possible dangers like rope burn once you grab the dog leash while your pet runs away. Retractable dog leashes are also good for well-behaved dogs and owners who are comfortable providing their dog with lead-room.
Standard Dog Leashes – These are likely what you could think of once you imagine dog leashes. They’re a braided or solid piece of material, which come in lengths that range from four to eight feet. The standard dog leashes are available in reflective materials that are ideal for the dog owners who walk in early mornings and during night time.
Fixed-Length Dog Leashes – These must be the go-to leash for your dog whenever you think of outings. This kind of dog leash provides you the option of pulling your dog much closer or steer your dog in various directions. The loop handle also makes it possible when hooking the leash over your own wrist while you are juggling another task.
Traffic Dog Leashes – These have a second handle set that is closer to the neck of the dog, usually 6-12” from the attachment clip of the dog leash. Several varieties are short, fixed length only while some have longer leash with traffic handle made into the leash’s lower portion. Traffic dog leashes increase your ability in controlling the movements of your dog in high-distraction or crowded spaces like an elevator. Short traffic dog leashes aren’t appropriate for walks as it might restrict the airway of the dog and impede his own ability when exploring. But rather, opt for longer dog leash with built-in traffic handle as well as utilize it only when necessary.
Adjustable Dog Leashes – These dog leashes could be the best and right fit for those who like the flexibility being offered by retractable dog leashes and the control of standard dog leashes. Such dog leashes may go between three and six feet through removing or adding clips or loops along the length. For training, you might need shorter dog leash. If you want more freedom while walking with your dog, longer dog leashes are much beneficial. With adjustable dog leashes, you can have both, which make these the best.
Types of Dog Leash Materials
While it is possible to find some dog leashes in rubber and cotton, the typical leash materials are chain, leather, and nylon. The right one depends on your budget and your dog.
- Leather – Dog leashes that are made from leather are high quality items and extremely durable, yet might have to be treated with leather conditioners to keep their quality. Leather tends to be comfortable and has natural give since it’ll soften to your hand in the long run. Though it isn’t resistant to chewing, they hold up very well. If you have had problems with nylon previously or you’re willing to invest more for long lasting leash, the leather might be the best leash material ideal for you.
- Nylon – It’s the most famous dog leash material since it’s durable and inexpensive. Nylon is perfect for environments or climates that frequently result in wet leash. Since it s a man-made fiber, you may find nylon in about every pattern and color. There are tons of options and they’re widely available so you likely will not have to worry about extensive searching or special ordering to look for what you like.
- Chain – It is perfect for a dog that chews through some leash materials. Since they’re metal, such leashes could be hefty. For stronger or bigger dog breed, this dog leash might be a great fit. If you’ll use it with small puppies, you would want to get thin chain that’s as light as possible, upgrade to tougher dog leash as your pet grows.
Choosing the best and perfect leash for your dog may depend on your needs and preferences. So, make sure to know your requirements first and what kind of leash your dog is comfortable with as this can make a huge difference.